Patrice K. Cokley: Branding, Authenticity & Marketing
This week we’re joined by Patrice K. Cokley, founder of The Bassline Group – a music-inspired brand management and marketing firm based in Chicago, helping to empower musicians and creative entrepreneurs to grow their businesses and reach a wider audience. In this episode, we talk about branding, the importance of authenticity and Patrice’s love for Miss Janet Jackson!
- Patrice is a fan of the show!
- Patrice HAS to see Janet Jackson live. She just has to.
- Patrice has a lot of praise for Ross (he designed The Bassline Group’s website)
- We hear about the beginnings of The Bassline Group and what Patrice does.
- The Bassline is a metaphor – it’s the foundation of a song, and it’s the foundation of your career
- We talk about the importance of branding for musicians
- Your brand is not just your music or your appearance – it’s about showing more of who you are as a person
- Ross says Marcio talks about being vegan all the time (which is kind of true)
- We talk about how Marcio talking about veganism online has opened the door to new opportunities
- Marcio ALWAYS uses Jared Leto as an example
- Patrice tells us how she likes to get to know her clients on a personal level as it helps her to spot opportunities that they might not have thought about
- Brand sounds too business-y – we need a new word!
- People can spot fakery so easily – be authentic!
- Newsflash! it’s 2015, not 1995. Thanks for that, Marcio.
- Patrice never lets her clients go outside looking crazy!
- We talk about some common mistakes artists make in their approach to branding and marketing.
- As an artist, you need to show who you are as that’s what your audience will fall in love with
- People gravitate towards what they can relate to
- Having a niche is great, as long as it’s authentic to you
- Your brand encompasses everything about you
- If you love a particular product, post about it and see if any opportunities arise
- If you’re releasing some new music, you need to be consistent in your approach and start your promotion at least 3 months before release.
- You have to be able to take constructive criticism.
- Website: http://thebasslinegroup.com
- Twitter: @thebasslinegrp
- Instagram: @thebasslinegrp
- Facebook: /thebasslinegrp