Bob Baker: Music Marketing, Creativity & The Empowered Artist
This week, we’re welcoming Bob Baker to the show, all the way from St Louis. Bob is an author, speaker, musician, and former music magazine editor dedicated to showing musicians of all kinds how to get exposure, connect with fans, sell more music, and increase their incomes through their artistic passions. Bob is the author of numerous books on the subject of music marketing and making a living from your art, including The Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook (featured in the movie School of Rock), The DIY Career Manifesto and his latest book, The Empowered Artist.
- As well as being an author and marketing expert, Bob is also a musician, artist and improv. comedy teacher!
- We all agree that different types of creatives can learn from each other
- Bob is celebrating 20 years of being on the Internet – happy anniversary!
- Bob still thinks of himself as a curious musician who is exploring what is working for successful musicians and artists
- The things that hold most artists back are fear, uncertainty and the worry about how people see us
- There’s nothing better as an artist if your personal interests can serve others
- Bob tells us about his latest book, The Empowered Artist
- We feel empowered just listening to Bob talk!
- We talk about how the Internet has changed things for artists, and how the focus should still be on fans
- GOOD NEWS: everyone has the tools to self expression & creation. BAD NEWS: everyone has the tools to self expression & creation.
- Bob talks about how consumers decide what is worthy now vs other gatekeepers
- Bob comes up with a Bob Dylan and Bob Marley hybrid impersonation
- Everyone has the fear, but the successful people have learned to live with it
- Give yourself permission to succeed and follow your path
- The world doesn’t owe you a living – just because you do what you love, it doesn’t mean the money will necessarily follow
- To get started, all you need is the desire to start
- If you’re not in the mood for something, if you force yourself to do it, you can find yourself in a state of flow and inspired
- Find your voice and be willing to fail
- Focus on fans – everything should be by your appreciation for, and the impact you have on, your fans
- Talking Funny (TV)
- Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert (Podcast)
- The Curator (Podcast)
- TED Radio Hour (Podcast)
- Pat Flynn’s Smart Passive Income (Podcast)
- Website: http://bob-baker.com
- Twitter: @MrBuzzFactor
- Instagram: @MrBuzzFactor
- Facebook: /bobbakerfanpage