Ruby Roth: Creative Living, Veganism & Combining Your Passions
This week we’re joined by LA based artist, author, illustrator and designer, Ruby Roth. Ruby is the world’s leading author and illustrator of vegan and vegetarian books for children, and has been featured on CNN, FOX, and many other major media outlets.
Complementing her degrees in art and American Studies, Ruby has researched animal agriculture, health, nutrition, and the benefits of a plant-based diet for over a decade. In this episode, Ruby shares how her art and passion for veganism have been combined, and discusses the challenges involved in making a living as an artist.
Ruby has also very kindly offered to give away a free copy of her latest book! For your chance to win, share this episode on Facebook or Twitter and subscribe to our mailing list, and we’ll be picking a winner at random next week!
- Ruby is an artist first and foremost
- Ruby is an undercover punk – you wouldn’t know by looking at her, but you would if you saw her music collection!
- We hear how Ruby ended up combining multiple skills and passions into a career
- Ruby tells us about her latest book “The Help Yourself Cookbook for Kids”
- Ruby’s latest book is also for busy people or lazy adults (like Ross)
- Marcio shares some of his favourite Vegan documentaries (including Cowspiracy)
- Ruby shares how making a living as a creative is often a challenge, and you have to be fully invested in making it work
- There is a lot of patience involved in making a creative living
- Ruby feels that if she wasn’t able to do her art, she would wither and die
- Ruby shares why she has become a vegan
- We hear about the book publishing process and the pros/cons of writing in a niche genre
- Ruby shares the story of how she became a published author
- If you want to make a living through creativity, you have to do the work and commit to it
- You have to be disciplined and trust in yourself
- Website: drawordie.com / wedonteatanimals.com
- Facebook: /wedonteatanimals
- Twitter: @ruby_roth
- Instagram: @ruby_roth / @wedonteatanimals
- Chris Keaton @ Chris Keaton Presents
- Christine Infanger @ Thirty Roses
- The Rock/Star Advocate
- Buck Naked Soap Company