B-Sides: Episode #7 – Should You Give Music Away For Free?
In this week’s B-SIDES episode, we’re going to be answering a question that was asked on a recent Facebook live – the question about whether you should give music away for free, and what “free” should mean for artists in today’s music industry. Enjoy!
- We talk about the benefits of giving music away for free – and what “free” should actually mean
- “Rather than thinking of it as giving music away for free, think of it more as getting it to the people who are going to be part of your audience” -Ross
- “There are many things more valuable than money and the instant gratification that comes along with seeing a dollar in exchange for your song.” – Marcio
- “An email address carries much more weight than a one-off transaction, and allows a long-lasting communication with your audience”
- Even in the age of social media, getting someone’s email address is still one of the most effective ways of communicating with them
- If you’re able to give something exclusive in exchange for an email address, you should definitely consider it
- A free download can be a gateway to someone discovering more about you – so it’s almost an investment, rather than something that’s just being given away
- We talk about potential offers or bundles you can offer to your audience in exchange for their email address
- We talk about times where a free download has converted us into long-term, paying fans of an artist
- “We’ve all just got to find creative ways to take control of how people get our music for free and make it a win-win for everyone” – Marcio
- “It’s a long game… you’re building an audience of people who know, trust and like you, and are willing to support you throughout your career” -Ross